In this lesson, we will label all the voiced chords on the attached “Chord Identification” page, below. The page is an adaptation of a handout that was given to me by guitarist Ted Dunbar, many years ago. Use the following steps to determine each chord’s name.
- Identify the root and write the letter name above the chord.
- Locate the chord’s 3rd and 7th to determine the quality (major, minor, dominant, etc.)
- Account for any remaining notes (5ths, 9ths, etc.)
- Consult with the “Chord Symbol Notation & Identification” handout, if necessary.
- Finish labeling the chord.
An answer key is provided to check your work, and to learn from your mistakes upon completing the assignment. Good luck!