Earl has served as Director of Jazz Studies at the University of Connecticut since August, 2000. His current course outlines and class schedules are posted below.
- UConn Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra (Fall 2017)
- UConn Jazz Ensemble
- Tuesday Night Combo/Jam Session
- Combo (Spring 2018)
Instruction and handouts from Earl’s many years of teaching jazz improvisation in courses and master classes are listed below.
- Intro To Improv.: Course Outline – Spring 2018
- Intro To Improv.: Class Schedule – Spring 2018 [Updated 3/9/2018]
- Topic #1: Chord Symbol Notation: Triads & Seventh Chords
- Topic #2: Chordal Extensions and Alterations
- Topic #3: Labeling Voiced Chords
- Topic #4: How To Transcribe Music
- Topic #5: the Blues:
Lecture notes, handouts and thoughts relating to the process of composing and arranging orchestral jazz music are included here.
- Jazz Arranging 1: Writing Jazz Combo Arrangements – Course Outline & Schedule
- Jazz Arranging 2: Arranging for Big Band – Course Outline & Schedule
- Idea Generation
- Jazz Arranging Text Books
- Jazz Composition – Course Outline and Schedule