The syllabi, course outlines and class schedules used in Earl MacDonald’s teaching at the University of Connecticut are posted below. Professor MacDonald has served as Director of Jazz Studies at UCONN since August, 2000.
Syllabi, lecture notes, handouts and thoughts relating to the process of composing and arranging orchestral jazz music are included here.
- Jazz Arranging 1: Writing Jazz Combo Arrangements – Course Outline & Schedule. Fall 2021.
- Jazz Arranging 2: Arranging for Big Band – Course Outline & Schedule (Spring 2021)
- Idea Generation
- Jazz Arranging Text Books
- Jazz Combos (Fall 2021)
- UConn Jazz Lab Band (Fall 2021)
- UConn Jazz Ensemble
Jazz Music and Social Change
- UNIV 1784, section 027-1218: Freshman Honors Seminar (Fall 2021)
Independent Study Credit
- Independent Study (Spring 2021)