The syllabi, course outlines and class schedules used in Earl MacDonald’s teaching at the University of Connecticut are posted below. Professor MacDonald has served as Director of Jazz Studies at UCONN since August, 2000.
Syllabi, lecture notes, handouts and thoughts relating to the process of composing and arranging orchestral jazz music are included here.
- Jazz Arranging 1: Writing Jazz Combo Arrangements – Course Outline & Schedule. Fall 2023.
- Jazz Arranging 2: Arranging for Big Band – Course Outline & Schedule (Spring 2021)
- Idea Generation
- Jazz Arranging Text Books
- UConn Jazz Lab Band (Fall 2023)
Jazz Music and Social Change
- UNIV 1784, section 027-1218: Freshman Honors Seminar (Fall 2022)
Independent Study Credit
- Independent Study (Fall 2023)