Jazz Questions 101
All questions were submitted by public school band directors. Earl hopes his responses will be helpful for teachers who don’t consider themselves “jazzers”, but who wish to further develop their ensembles, program and pedagogy. Please feel free to submit additional questions to Earl via e-mail. As with all his online articles, readers are encouraged to respond with comments, further insights or countering opinions. Please submit questions & comments to Earl via the “contact” portion of this site. Indicate whether or not he may post your response and if you would prefer to remain anonymous or have your name included.
- What is the protocol for kids who want to “sit it” with some local groups?
- What books would you suggest local piano teachers use to encourage authentic jazz playing
- What big band albums do you suggest we play for our high school students?
- My band has a strong guitar player and a young, inexperienced piano player. What strategies should I employ in rehearsal to balance the sound?
- If you could turn back the clock to when YOU were 15, what would you practice?
- Fill in your dream quartet. Who would you hire?
- Are there criteria for deciding on acoustic or electric bass during a set?